...well, almost a lion. It isn't finished yet.
It all started with a very rough drawing. As do all of my quilts. I have a whole notebook of quilts made and quilts to be. I have no clue why but I always have to draw them out first.
Then we traced hands. 22 of them to be exact. Amazingly, the Kindergartners were all very compliant. Using the rough drawing, I drew a larger lion onto Wonder Under (WU). I know, I use that stuff a lot. I can't help it, it is a quilter's dream. I traced the hands onto WU too. This is the head with the hands.
Then, I put it all together. I made the background from two rectangles. Then fused the lion one layer at a time. I ended with the border. Then it was time to stitch...
I wasn't sure how I was going to add my detail. What was and wasn't going to get outlined. Finally, I just went with it. These things tend to just flow and become more clear, as you go. I'm really in love with this lion. He still needs to be bound and washed. He will soften with a good washing.
I'll add some pictures, once I'm finished. The backing is also special but I will share that later.