Friday, August 3, 2012

When I grow up....


I've always kind of known where I wanted to end up.  Not the exact details and I definitely had no clue on how I wanted to get there.  I have always known that I wanted to end up in the country, on a lot of land, quilting as much as possible.  If I'm lucky, I will be sharing quilting with others whether it be through lessons, fabric or some other avenue.



When we were coming home from vacation, we went through Giddings, Tx and stopped at a quilt shop I have not previously visited.  It is just a bit off the main road by a few minutes.  Definitely worth the extra few minutes.  


Visiting this shop was like peering into my future.  A tangible, life size vision board for me.  Gerline's Quilt Shoppe is warm and inviting.  The staff, all family the day I visited, were friendly and helpful.  The fabric selection was impressive and neatly displayed.  My husband and kids loved that that there was room to stretch their legs and maybe a tricycle or two to try out while they waited on me to buy the whole store.  And there might be jeans drying on a clothesline too.  I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming!


When you walk in you are greeted by the register on the left, along with the cutting counter.  During my visit, there was a very sweet young lady behind the counter who was attentive and ready to help.  To the right is an array of fabrics.  If you head straight back, the shop keeps going with additional fabrics.  There is a little clearance room in the back too!


Something unique to this store is the notion selection.  She has notions that I can find at JoAnn's.  Things that are everyday use and well priced.  When you live somewhere that running to JoAnn's isn't an option, having a fabric shop that provides those tools is invaluable.  She also has a selection of non traditional fabrics, panels, etc.


Gerline also supports a charity quilting group that makes quilts for a variety of organizations including local nursing homes, the Bastrop Crisis Center and more.  They meet in a building just off of the shop every Monday.  All are welcomed to join.  Visit Gerline's Quilting Angels website for more information.


These are the fabrics I grabbed while there.  The top fabric will be part of the Around Texas quilt.  I've gathered all the fabrics I need for that quilt.  Now it is time to plan and start cutting.  The bottom blue fabric is going to end up as bluebonnets on an art quilt.  The middle fabric was just too pretty to pass up.  


I was fortunate enough to spend some time talking to Gerline during my visit.  She was in the back quilting on a long arm.  I'm told she can be found there often.  She took some time to talk quilting with me and really, I could have stayed there all day.  I wanted to soak up every bit of information on how she ended up living my dream.  Maybe she can make me an instruction booklet or a map of the right path to take.  I can't wait to see her and her family again.

The nitty gritty on Gerline's:  Established in 2000, they offer longarm quitling services with a one month turn around time.  You will find their collection of over 3000 bolts of fabric and the most amazing dried noodles at 1383 County Road 205, Giddings, Tx 78942.  Check out their extensive website for hours and additional contact information at www.gerlinesquiltshoppe.com.


A little birdie told me that a THIRD quilt shop has opened in Giddings called Meme's Quilts and Fabric.  The shop wasn't open the day I was in Giddings.  So, I'm going to have to head back out to Giddings soon.  We lost Quakertown Quilts here in The Woodlands, so I now have only one local shop to my disposal.  This means I'm going to have to move to Giddings.  Don't tell my husband.

And as always, Gerline did not compensate me for this review.  It is my goal to get as many people into their local quilt shops as possible.  I'm sadden at the number of shops around me that I see closing.

~SLBY

No comments: