Wednesday, April 27, 2011

E-Jay's Fabrics & Quilting in Taylor, TX


Our first quilting stop occurred as we were driving up to Inks Lake.  I had hoped to stop at quilt shops as we went about our road trip but hadn't really planned anything out.

As we were headed north on Hwy 95, my husband was the one who spotted this shop.  Nestled in the downtown district of Taylor, you will find E-Jay's situated across the street from Taylor city hall and a park full of benches and shade trees.


When I walked up to the store, it really reminded me of the town I grew up in.  We had so many shops on the square, that had the same feel.  Original historic buildings.  Large window displays.  I really felt like I was home.


And that feeling of home grew, when I walked in the door.


When you first walk in you see bolts of fabrics and a fair amount of them.  On the front and left side of the store, you will find fabrics from Moda, Clothworks and more.  They had a great selection of Texas material and helped me start a Texas fabric collection.  More about that in another post.  Towards the back of the front room, you will find various quilting notions.  Just past the front, you travel down a small hallway that connects to a room with a long arm and space for classes. 

The walls of the store are covered in finished projects.  Down the hallway hangs a few quilts.  One is a very old, beautiful feed sack quilt.  You must stop in and see it.  Feed sack quilts are my favorite.

The staff was exactly what I expected.  Friendly, knowledgeable and really had an interest in quilting and helping me with my project.  The clearance section along the left wall was plentiful and had a wide variety.  Besides fabric and notions, the store also offered premade items, quilt kits and quilt patterns. 

And there was a store cat.  My kids had a great time looking for the kitty.  It was hiding in the front window, probably eyeing the birds across the street, in the park.  Maybe the cat wanted an up close view of the impressive Carpenter's Star that is displayed in the front window.




Overall, it was definitely worth the stop.  In the store next door my husband found a new piece of art for our home.  Next time you're in the area, make sure you stop by.

E-Jay's is located on Main Street.  About 30 minutes east of Round Rock.  US Route 79 or State Highway 95 will take you into the heart of Taylor, Texas.

You can get more information about E-Jay's from their website:  http://www.e-jaysfabrics.com/



A few notes:
  • I'm going to do 5 of these shop reviews total.  My goal, dream, hope is that this will encourage you to seek out either these shops or YOUR local quilt shop.  Please, head out and meet the people who share your passion for quilting.  They are the only ones who will truly get you!  ;)
  • E-Jay's did not in anyway ask me or compensate me for this blog post.  These are purely my thoughts and feelings, free from coercion.  Though I am forever grateful for the whimsical Texas material they pointed out to me.


~SLBY

No comments: