Sunday, July 22, 2012

Store updates!

We recently took our family vacation for the summer and decided to meander through some quilt shops on the way home.  We visited a few familiar shops and one new shop.  I wanted to follow up on two stores I have previously reviewed.  Simple Sewing Solutions in Lockhart, Tx and All Around the Block (AATB) in Giddings, Tx.

We initially stopped in Lockhart for BBQ because my husband has an unhealthy obsession with Kreuz Market.  Though I don't blame him, that place has delicious BBQ.  We attempted to stop at Simple Sewing Solutions.  I had heard that there was some change, so I wanted to check in out.  Unfortunately, they were closed for lunch.  I wasn't sure how long they were going to be gone, since the sticky note just stated they would be back in 30 minutes.  I did peek in the windows and the gorgeous counter top is gone.  I admit, I am sad to see it go.  It was definitely a piece that made the shop unique.  However, it appears that their fabric collection has greatly increased and let's face it, more fabric makes everything better.  We'll be back in Lockhart sooner, than later.  My husband will need a BBQ fix in a few months, I'm sure of it.  I'll go back by again.

All Around the Block

Next we headed towards Giddings, Tx., which is quickly becoming my quilting Mecca.  It is quite the typical small Texas town.  Old brick downtown.  There is the required BBQ shop there.  But there is nothing typical about the quilt shops in this town.  I understand that there are now 3 shops.  However, these aren't your usual small town quilt shops.  There are more fabric options in the town of Giddings, than in Houston.  I swear on it.  I've visited All Around the Block previously and talked about it here.  My second trip was as successful as my first.  The place still goes on forever.  The selection is incredible.  If AATB doesn't have it, the fabric doesn't exist.  Definitely a must stop, when you're in town.



I picked up a few yards, while at AATB.  The Yo Gabba Gabba! fabric is flannel and for my son.  He is currently at that age and stage where he is absolutely in love with this show.  He recently received his sister's YGG figurines from when she was at the same age.  I foresee myself doing another Yo Gabba Gabba birthday.  The fish material is for a scrub top for my husband.  Scrub tops were how I justified originally purchasing my first sewing machine 6 years ago.  I would make scrub tops and it would save us all sorts of money.  I've made him probably 5 or 6 tops at this point.  I promise you, not a penny has been saved.


This.  THIS!  I bought it for myself.  It is everything I wish I could be.  I have never seen a more beautiful piece of fabric.  It is delicate but incredibly bright and colorful.  It is part of a collection designed by Laura Gunn for Michael Miller called Garden Wall.  There are some other incredible pieces in the collection that I'm dying to get my hands on.  You can see more here.  I have plans for a table runner, I think.  Or a wall hanging to put up in my studio.  I might just sit and stare at it.

While in Giddings, I also stopped at a new to me store, Gerline's.  The shop isn't new at all but it is the first time I've been able to stop by.  I'll give you that information in a few days...


~SLBY

No comments: